Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Kaasa Gallery Solo Show Date Change And A Nice Word, "Compelling"

Got an email from the Jubilee Auditorium Kaasa Gallery folks today. They asked me if it was ok to change the start date of my solo show from January to March 2013. I guess they got a request from the Edmonton Opera Association people to use the space in January-February 2013. I told them it was not a problem so the show date will be pushed back a bit, March-June 2013.

In the same email I also got a nice compliment in regards to my sex worker imagery. J-- from the Kaasa gallery was speaking to one of the members of the AFA (Alberta Foundation for the Arts) who recommended I try and show that body of work at the MOCA (Museum Of Modern Art) in Calgary (formerly Triangle Gallery).

Sent a long detailed email to the MOCA people tonight, asking for submission requirements etc. Maybe nothing will come of this, but to have your work referred to as "Compelling" by art people who know their stuff is encouraging, especially after the recent rejections. Here is the email minus some names (not sure they want to be named on my silly blog!).


Hi Gerry
....................
....................
.................... 

On a different note:  I was just speaking to ------- at the AFA, and he suggested that I tell you to check out Calgary’s new Gallery Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) (it used to be the Triangle Gallery) – he thinks that they have an ongoing “street life” series of exhibitions that your OTHER work – the portraits of prostitutes? – might be a good fit for.  It’s really compelling work and I would love to see Albertans engage with it.

So – check them out and see if YOU think you’d be a good fit.

Let me know, please, about the date shift.  Thanks so much and I will look forward to hearing from you soon,
J--

...............
...............
...............