Monday, January 2, 2012

Overcoming Fears

Many people I know in various clubs, online etc. have a fear of approaching and photographing people. I to constantly fight that fear, the fear of making pictures of people, the fear of anger/rejection if I try. The "Common Lives" project in various forms has filled my thoughts for probably the last 10 years. I always wanted to try to do a grand photography series and thought why not do pictures with a large format camera in Asia, but I always had this fear, how can I do that? Everything seemed so daunting, traveling, carrying the gear, being good enough technically, communicating in another language, paying for the project, but most of all I was afraid to make the pictures. I was afraid to approach strangers in busy public areas and make their pictures. Now that I am into the series, now that I some good work behind me, some good negs in the bank it all seems so much easier. I am excited by and look forward to making many more portraits, am looking forward to approaching hundreds of more people and trying to complete this massive undertaking.

I think I have partially overcome my fears but need to push harder and truly get to the next level in the creative process, I need to improve the flow of the making of the work. The help of my friends (Rob P, Jim G, Jim A, Sheila H) in the clubs I belong to, the help of great photographers like Jock Sturges and Larry Louie and the encouragement of the Edmonton Art Council, gallery owners like Mimi and Quinton G, have also been of great help.

The most important thing I did thou was to get off my ass and try to do it, sometime you need to throw caution to the wind and just dive in,  I might yet fail in this endeavour but f-ck I am going to go down swinging!