Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Quote: Sebastiao Salgado

From the book "Photography as Activism, Images For Social Change" by Michelle Borgre.

" You have a very different way of looking at the world when you come from the south to the north. I come from this world, and I have a different understanding of the poor side of the world. I look at the poor without pity because I know they are only poor materially. They are rich in culture and tradition. It's different than the poverty in America. The ghetto is poor materially and spiritually. This is what I was trying to get people to understand. This world is not a poor world in a spiritual sense. I never wanted to give a conscience to anyone. These pictures were to give a basis for reflection and discussion. To see the men who lived in South America., Africa, and Asia are the same men who live here (the developed Western world). We are the same. When you  save those people, you are saving yourselves.