Thursday, December 15, 2011

Quote: Dina Cambodia Border Immigration Policeman

I foolishly joked about money with a Cambodian border policemen, Mr Dina. Its easy to joke when your some smart ass Canadian tourist, not so easy to joke when your a poor border immigration man making $100 a month (not counting corruption money taken from foreigners getting visas).

The joke was a standard one I do with people, am not serious about it but in this case it was inappropriate, I have to think before I blab next time. I was talking with the policemen at the border checkpoint about going back to Canada to work soon, and how I had no money left to stay longer in Asia, the standard joke is I hold out my hand and say "If you give me some money I can stay longer!" I say it in a joking way with a smile on my face. Usually I get a grin, or a giggle and a slap on the shoulder or something similar, this time thou Mr Dina's reply was:

"How can I give you money? Cambodia is a poor country."

When he said it he looked straight into my eyes with and honest but sad expression.

Dina worked with an NGO before becoming a border policeman, he  learned his English with American and Malaysian teachers, he now makes a $100 a month checking passports at the border, he works 365 days a year without a holiday for between 13 and 15 hours a day.

My work in Canada pays me much more and I work one week on, one week off, 12 hour shifts. My job allows me the money to chase my photographic dreams, to travel and to experience the world. This man barely has enough to support his family ( he has a wife and a 6 year old daughter).

No more stupid jokes Gerry! Be mindful of who your talkig to, try to put yourself in their shoes.

I also think I accidentally stole Dina's pen! When I got back to the room I realized I had a unknown pen in my pocket! Damn!! I have to try to give it back to him if I return to Poipet next year, maybe I can bring a gift for his daughter as well.