Saturday, December 31, 2011

First 4x5 Film

I opened up my first box of exposed 4x5 film from the trip and developed 10 sheets. The sheets so far look good :) They are of a young man named Ai who lived and hung out in a drug/drinking area I photographed in, he might have been involved in the drug trade somehow (dealer?), only saw him 2 times, the first time I photographed him with the Linhoff. I also developed some of the freeway canal negs and 2 negs of an old couple who lived in a shack near the drug people. The negs of the old people were shot in very low light (doorway of their shack home), if the portraits turn out it will give me confidence to continue shooting in similar lowlight conditions.

When your making the pictures its quite tiring, carrying around the gear, working in the hot weather, dealing with all kinds of people while speaking a foreign language, transporting everything through multiple airports around the world etc. Its all worthwhile thou when you make a good picture, all the work is worth it, a successful portrait makes it all worthwhile.

When you make a good neg the high you get is better than than anything else I experience, I got a bit of that a few minutes ago when I looked at the negatives for the first time, seeing those beautiful negatives makes everything worthwhile. Next time I need to work twice as hard!!

I feel happy, am on a high right now.

Happy New Year everyone!!!, bye till later I am off to a dinner and a small new years party.