Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Promoters

The men who work in the garbage station in the Klong Toey market have taken to promoting me. Over the last few days when someone strange comes and sees the farang, they start talking about me or to me at that point the promotion work starts (3 different people have done this so far). They say things like this to the new thai person:

- He can speak Thai!
- The stranger might say...OH!

- He learned Thai in a Temple!!
- The stranger might say...OYY!!

- He can read/write Thai also!!!
- The stranger might wow really!!!'

Having these promoters is a bit embarressing but it also cuts through the awkwardness, its like becoming friends with the stranger without saying a word.

The farang who can write Thai thing is quite often a walking on water miracle for Thais, they rarely meet farang who can write Thai, its a very impressive thing for them. Of course I only write at a grade 3 level but that does not matter : )

He can write Thai!!!!!

Usually at this point the notebook I was writing on is ripped out of my hand and shown around the group to various OOHHS and AAAHHS!