Saturday, November 5, 2011

Its A Small World

Today I went out photographing with my friend Rob near Drumheller Alberta. We had a great day making photos in areas that had there first snowfall of the year. I think I got some good shots with the 5x7, and also shot 35mm Leica and some handheld 4x5 Banarama (Polaroid Razzle conversion camera).

The most surprising thing that happened today was a group of people I met. We had just finished photographing some hoodoo formations, I was walking back to the truck with my 5x7 on my shoulder when I heard the word SOO-WAI! Soo-wai means beautiful in Thai. When I got back to the vehicle the group that had spoken the word came back to the parking area (there were only 3 cars parked). I asked if they were from Thailand and they were. The man I spoke to asked "How did you know we were from Thailand?" I spoke Thai to him saying in Thai "I can speak a little bit of Thai" Everyone got all excited and we all started talking (their were 5 people in the group, 3 men and 2 women). We had a short talk, and then I asked some questions about Thailand and the flooding, I asked about Klong Toey and if there was flooding there, one of the men lived very near Klong Toey and he told me that area was ok, along with Silom roads and other central parts of Bangkok. I also asked about the airport and he said I would not have problems traveling by taxi into Bangkok to the area I plan to stay.

Its a small world! I met this Thai group in the middle of no where, what are the odds? I now feel much more comfortable with my coming Thai trip, I am not worried  about getting out of the airport and traveling to my room. Less worried about facing any flood problems early on.

The days shooting with Rob was also pretty awesome, a wonderful day, I feel a tad tired now but am very glad I got up early on 3 hours sleep to make photos!

A great day!