Thursday, November 17, 2011

Children Of Klong Toey

After I visited the Muay Thai gym I went back to see the areas where I had made the children yauk doo portraits.

Gan 9 Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok 2011

http://gerryyaum.blogspot.com/search?q=yauk+doo

The children immediately remembered me and surrounded me asking questions, at one point I had 15 young boys and girls all speaking Thai to me (and a bit of English they were excited to try). The girl above Gan was not shy and apprehensive anymore and came right up to me asking questions and became frustrated when I did not understand all her Thai.

When I left in September I told them I would return in 2 months and one of the young boys said to me (without me mentioning the 2 month thing), " Has it been 2 months already?" Very smart kids, that are so full of life and have a thirst to learn and improve themselves. I am happy I kept my promise and returned to them, I wish thou I had more photos to give them, only 3 of the people I photographed led to good pictures, the others were so so or out of focus so I did not print them, I am so limited for time in Canada but now I wish I had printed the out of focus stuff as well to give them something now.  I will try and make more photos of them this trip and then give it to them in my next trip to Thai, this last trip will happen sometime in the first 6 months of 2012, after that I will probably not be able to return (no vacation time and no money) to Thailand for a year or longer.

I keep thinking now of all those smiling happy faces, all wanting to talk to me at the same time, was swamped with questions, with smiles and with giggling, was also asked my name 3 or 4 times. Hopefully if my health stays good I can return and photograph these children through the years as they grow up, I want to follow and learn what happens in their lives.