Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Big Thumbs Up

When I sat down with the drinking men today in the slum I was offered some whiskey but told the man I had just met that I did not drink the others who knew me told him the same thing. A few minutes later on I was offered some cold water from the communal pot, a common straw is used by everyone. When I drank the water I got a big thumbs up and some "good good" comments from the smiling men in the area. I had my own water bottle but it would have been rude to refuse the water. I think they might have been a bit surprised I would drink with them that way, they must have had experiences in the past where farang would not drink from the communal bucket, using the same straw.

I want to go back and photograph these fellows with the Banarama 2 when it arrives, I think some good photos can be made in this area using that 4x5 neg and flash combo, it might give a heightend reality to the photo, something like a harsh Weegee, Diane Arbus feel to the photograph. I have always liked the look of flash combined with stark detail and contrast in a photograph.