Thursday, November 24, 2011

Art Opening Night

Met Mimi last night, we had a meal and went to the opening of Philip Blenkisop new space. I met upwards of 30 people from around the globe all expats living in Bangkok, all part of the art scene in Bangkok. Met French, German, American, Thai, South Africans and Australians, all with exotic sounding names that I could not remember. The place was littered with talented photographers, Philip's work was stunning, they also had some work showing by the photographer Max Pap who I do not know but who looks like a great photographer. There were also some other gallery people there along with painters and other artists.

I really enjoyed my night out, I hope I did not stand out to much, felt really out of my element. I am not much of a art party guy (this was kind of my first one, outside of the Fading Lives opening). It was nice to meet all the folks and hopefully I can learn more about their work, their lives in the future.

Today I feel shitty thou, got a cold, runny nose and headache. I had 1/2 a glass of champagne last night not sure if thats what did it (I do not drink or smoke), think I just overextended myself a bit, did not get back to the room till 3am, to bed till 4am, it was very hot there and I had little water to drink. Today was a wasted sick day in bed. I have to go get some food try to get some sleep so I can get out and make some decent work tomorrow, need to get up early tomorrow and get back to the slum for some portraits.

Looking at the work I saw last night was a bit intimidating, my work is not as original or powerful as what I saw. I need to make my work more human and more intimate, I do not travel to the wide and varied places the other photogs I met yesterday go, but I think I can be more intimate because I spend more time with the people I photograph, maybe the photographs can be unique and strong for that reason, MAYBE!