Friday, November 4, 2011

4x5 Negs All Over The Place Technically

Shot about 300 4x5 Tri-x sheets this last trip, now that I am making work prints of these negs I can see the tech faults more clearly. I have many underexposed negs shot with flash at the gym (diffuser spread light to much I think). I also have many negs that are out of focus, a high percentage of the shots made in low light with flash are out of focus and many of the available light 1/4 at F11 stuff is slightly out of focus.

The negs thou that were exposed and focused properly and where the subject did not move are stunnning. When you get the right composition, exposure, expression and sharpness in a 4x5 negative its truly wonderful to print.

This coming trip I need to work on my consistency with the Linhof and Banarama (taking the polaroid conversion camera to do the flash work, will use a mounted flashlight to help with focusing if needed). With the experience I gained in September I should be able to improve the percentage of technically good 4x5 negs. I am also much more confident shooting the camera and using a reflector, so that will also help raise the percentages of beautiful negatives to work with. I think this is all a stepping stone to using the 5x7 and 8x10 in the field to shoot portraiture in available light at some future date.

I plan on taking and shooting at least 600 4x5 sheets this coming 5 week trip to Thailand/Laos. Will also shoot a 80 or so rolls of Tri-x 35mm with the Leica.