Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Koudelka's Gypsies Reissued

Joseph Koudelka


At work today I am looking through what may be the greatest book of photography I have ever seen, Koulka's Gypsies. I have a old beaten up copy of the original book but this reissue is new and improved, they upped the total number of photographs from 60 to 109.

The humanity of the book is astounding, Kouldelka was working on all cylanders in a world he understood deeply. As I turn the pages picture after picture hits me with such power, a great photographer, working on a great subject, lead to a great book of photographs.

Looking through something like this is astonishing its a window into a world I did not know but because of Kouldelka I now can appreciate and respect. Koudelka shooting these photographs was in the freaking zone, the book is alive!