Sunday, October 23, 2011

Freedom Shooting 4x5 Portraits

For the "Common Lives" project I want to shoot large format portraits, the problem is many times the subjects are in such poor light its not possible to do that. This coming trip I plan on using Razzle polaroid conversion cameras with flash. If I use the Razzle rangefinder camera I can focus quickly in low light and the attached flash will allow me to make portraits inside homes or at night (Bangkok at night photograph series I blogged years ago).

http://gerryyaum.blogspot.com/2008/02/photo-thoughtbangkok-at-night.html

I should eventually have 3 Razzle cameras when Dean Jones completes them. I already own a 135mm yellow Razzle (Banarama), I have a 90mm green Razzle (Kermit) being sent from Austrailia soon and then the final camera yet to be completed is a 150mm red Razzle which will be set up to do close focusing for head shots.

Most of the work for this project I expect to be done in available light with a spot meter but to have the freedom to shoot Bangkok and other areas at night, or to wander in peoples homes or businesses and make portraits is  a real bonus!

I will take the Banarama or the Kermit to make photos at the Muay Thai gym in November, hopefully I can also do some slum home interior portraits as well.