Friday, October 21, 2011

All 4x5 Film Developed

Developed all my 4x5 film, the outdoor landscapes and available light portraiture are well exposed and mostly in focus. I had lots of problems thou with the flash stuff shot at the gym, lots of exposure issues (under exposure) and some focusing problems because of the low light. Feel depressed over all the negatives I lost . I will go back and try reshooting them with Razzle cameras made by Dean Jones. I have a 135mm Razzle (Banarama) and a 90mm Razzle (Kermit) on the way from Austrailia, hopefully I can shoot more freely, focus better and also get the exposure right with these cameras. I had so many opportunities to make good pics with the flash at the gym but technical failures on my part made maybe 75% of those images unprintable.

I am quite happy with the available light stuff, the zone metering and Linhof worked great for those pics. I need to incorporate my reflector more as Jock Sturges suggested. In the limited use I gave the medium size reflector I had, it really helped fill in the shadows for head and 1/2 body shots. The reflector might be a bit small to do to much good on 3/4 and full body pictures.

I have to get past all this techno babble and thinking technique when I shoot. I need to interpret what I feel about the people I photograph, to put that interpretation into the portrait along with a bit of me. Like Edvard Munch says artwork needs a soul and a mind.