Friday, October 7, 2011

AGA Shows

Went to the AGA yesterday and really enjoyed myself. I saw a show on 19th century French photography as well as some prairie province art work and a wonderful exhibit called North. I am not sure exactly what the North show was about but it was lots of fun (something Art should strive to be more of, more often). The North gallery had 4 videos, plus photos, strrange musical instruments and something about a sign that was placed on the polar ice and then lost when the ice melted (global warming statement I think). It was loads of fun watching the vids and trying to figure things out.

The 19th century photo show had daguerreotypes (always a favorite) plus many types of old paper process prints. I was especially taken by the woodburytype prints, the detail and the tonality were very appealing. The highlight of the show for me was 5 Eugene Atget prints, 4 of which I found outstanding. The prints were small silver geletin photographs, what I found amazing thou was the composition. Atget was composing his work in a modern unique style 50 plus years before others caught on, wonderful work!