Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Very Happy I Came

I was worried that my 3 week trip might be to short and to expensive. I am very happy I came thou, things are working out wonderfully. I have met some amazing people and the Klong Toey Muay Thai gym has taught me so much about the sport, the trainers and the young athletes that work toward their dreams. It has also taught me about the brutality of what can happen when things go wrong.

When I watch Khune Pong train his fighters he pushes them, yells at them, fights back smacking them when they leave an opening. He also laughs and jokes and encourages them when they box well. I can see he loves the sport and loves the boys he is training, he wants them all to do really well. He is a simple man who does not have much education (and is embarrassed and shy about that fact) but I think he is a good man with the heart of a lion, I am not surprised he was a big time champion in Muay Thai.  I hope today I took a portrait worthy of him (last night he told me he had a record of 90+ fights).