Friday, September 23, 2011

Sitting On My Ass

Not finding much interesting to photograph here, been laying around sleeping and visiting the beach. I did a few shots of water running through rocks with the Leica but there is not much that catches my eye here photographically.

Korean society in general seems like a slightly poorer version of what I saw in Japan in 1999. The people are polite  but the only time they seem to really come out of their shell is when they have been drinking. Everything seems pretty well controlled here, even the cars in parking lots fit into boxes (4 sided lines). I get the feeling that most people here conform and fit into boxes just like the cars in the parking lots. I see a few people dressing and acting differently but for the most part everyone seems to dress and look mostly the same, simliar clothes, haircuts and glasses.

I am not sure what the deal is but a very high percentage of Korean men where glasses here, it seems like 70% of them wear glasses. People are also completely obsessed with their cell phones, on the subways it is not strange to see the 7 people seated opposite you to all be doing something on their cellphone (not talking but playing games, music, tv, movies, internet etc).

Will be going back to Thailand in the next few days before returning to Canada. I will be well rested so the flight home should be a bit easier. I am looking forward to getting into the darkroom and developoing the Klong Toey portraits. If I have anything good I plan to do muliple submissions.