Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Superstar

I have made Thais laugh before when I try (in Thai) to say something funny but today I got the girl Weaw laughing for 3 or 4 minutes (she did that cover the mouth thing as they laugh that many South East Asian girls do).

I had photographed the lady who runs the store opposite the gym (Gop) one time and needed to photographed her again because I set the Fstop incorrectly. The second time I photographed her I did a head and shoulders portrait. When I asked her to come back and do a second series of photos she got excited laughing etc. I said to her and Weaw and another young woman there  that "I want to photograph you again, your my superstar!"

Now I guess you might need to know that superstars in Thailand are like super beautiful women who sort of become celebrities, very sexy girls. I think it was a bit risky to say it but my tone and smile told her I was teasing.  Weaw thought it was very funny and laughed for 3 or 4 minutes. Later when I asked Weaw if I could photograph her as well she was a bit shy but I asked her politely and she agreed. Humor can definitely break down cultural fears and barriers.

I guess my Thai is improving if I can make locals laugh. That is something a French Canadian friend back home told me,  he said "When I told a joke in English and people laughed I knew I was becoming more fluent." This seems to be happening to me a bit now, its also fun to joke around and make friends.