Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mr Som Tum

Have gone to a local Issan style Thai restaurant 3 nights in a row. Each night I go I eat a different kind of som tum (spicy papaya salad). The first night I had a type I had eaten before, the second night I tried a type with fried pork, then tonight I had som tum with raw pickled crab. All 3 versions were delicious! I eat it with kaow nee-ow (sticky rice) Thai style, you roll up the rice in your fingers and then dip it in the som tum juice, boy is it good!! I usually get lots of stares from the locals (happend 2 times tonight) when they see a farang eating som tum, the spicey part of the meal usually stops most farang from eating it. I have grown used to the spices over the years and eat lots of rice to offset that spicy feeling! Great stuff!

Tonight had normal rice, sticky rice, water, som tum with crab and 6 deep fried shrimp with a nice sauce for 142 baht, about $5. Boy am I going to miss Thai food when I go back to Canada soon.