Saturday, September 24, 2011

Liking Korea

Photographically I do not find Korea to compelling but I like other parts of this society. I had a wonderful meal of shellfish at a night marker here last night. Being with hundreds of Koreans eatcing and relaxing was refreshing, fellt less like a tourist last night.

I have the feeling Koreans are extremely nationalistic. There is a chain of hamburger franchises here that are obviously modeled on McDonalds. Even the design of the picture menues is exactly the same as McDonalds designs, as is the red and yellow logo. Koreans go to the copy cat Korean owned franchise much more than they go to the McDonalds version of the same food.

I also wonder about racism in this society. Since I have been here I have not seen one interacial couple on the street. From what I know its taboo for a Korean girl to have a Western boyfriend. You would think a few girls would rebel and have them but I have yet to see. I probably have to go to more Western male areas of Seoul to see that. In the cities I have visited I am might see 1 or possibly 2 Western people each day.

Flying back to Bangkok tomorrow, kind of wish I had more time here to explore the country and this culture, maybe I can return to Korea at some future date.