Friday, September 9, 2011

Good Day

The day started out tough but turned out to be quite a good day. I went to bed last night at 8pm and woke up this morning at 9am (13 hours!), when I tried to get up out of bed I could hardly walk, my left achilles tendon hurt like hell. Both achilles on my right and left feet have hurt for a few years but today was the worst its been. I am not sure it was the change in environment or what but I had a hell of a problem. I stretched it for maybe 10 minutes which helped but when walking today I was limping like an old man.

The good part of the day was I was able to find the Muay Thai training gym that I linked earlier from YouTube. At the gym area of Klong Toey I met and talked to upwards of 30 people. In the gym I met 10+ boxers of all ages (8 years old and up), I met 4 trainers, and the man who runs the place. I photographed as best I could but the light was limiting so was not sure how well the shoot went, I shot both hand held availble light 35mm and Leica with a flash on a cord (do not have much experience shooting this way)

Tomorrow my hope is to come back with the 4x5 and to make portraits all day with that camera. I also want to photograph the gym and the surrounding area. The gym is actually built directly under a freeway, the roof of the gym is the underside of the freeway. They also have a boxing ring, gym equipment and various types of bags that all look very very well used. The sit up bench is so well used that its down the foam, no upholstery any longer, the coverying has been all eaten up! The boxers use the same linen to tape their hands everyday, the boxing gloves and other equipment is very well used, the place looked old but also seemed like there was a very high level of dedication by the boxers. Later on in the day when I saw them train live, you could see why all the equipment looked used.

I was surprised how friendly everyone was, I know Thai people are friendly but these folks were super friendly I got 2 pops bought for me during my 6 hour stay, I was offered food etc. I was treated very well and soon felt quite comfortable. I did my best to be polite and learn, thou I wish I could speak Thai more fluently so I could understand more of what they told me.

Watching these boxers go to town on their trainers, with earth shattering kicks and punches was something to behold, you cannot help but be very impressed by it all. The boxers are smaller but powerful, one man Bon, who has been studying Muay Thai for 10+ years  (54 kilos) has a match on Monday, he was downright scary kicking the trainer, he has some kind of POWER.

Going to try to get up tomorrow a bit earlier, thou its already 832pm and I have to eat yet and prepare tomorrows film so not sure how early I can get up. The boxers train very early before there is good light  and again at about 3pm when the light is better so I plan to be there during the day to photograph the 3pm session with the 4x5. Some of the younger boxers train very early 3-5am then go to school, then  come back and train again. At least thats what I think I was told, will check again tomorrow to makesure I am understanding everything.

A good day, hope the achilles is better tomorrow. I think this could lead to some good portraits. I learned so many names today and spoke so much Thai my head feels like exploding! It was hard to get back to my room, had to ask 8 taxis before one would accept the trip.

Going to eat some Issan Thai food then back to the room, a nice shower, prepare the film and camera gear and to bed!