Monday, September 12, 2011

Chon Gai

Met a man today in the slum who told me about chon gai which is rooster fighting. The mans name was Khune Boo and he showed me several of his large roosters, one was especially beautiful, a golden color that was bred from a Cambodian rooster it was larger than the Thai roosters which are black in color.

I hope I can do some portraits of the people involved in this sport. I asked him if they attached knifes to the rooster legs when they fought and he told me they do. He also said they can only fight/gamble in a certain place, if they try to arrange matches outside these areas the police will arrest them. There is lots of gambling etc. Thai men love to gamble.

This last saturday during the Muay Thai matches on Tv the area around the gym was filled with yelling and betting as men gambled on the outcome between the red and blue fighters. In the gym there is a snooker table that is always being played, gambling is a must 2, 3 or 4 players compete with bets going back and forth money flying around the table.