Friday, August 19, 2011

VAAA Group Show Postponed

Well, got some good news today (I guess its good news). The October VAAA group show has been postponed. I had a choice of putting it off till February or April. I might be in Thailand in February so I postponed that show opening until April 19, 2012.

With the September trip to Thailand quickly approaching this allows me more time, much more! I can make a print here and there over the next 8 months. I also can order more mat and foam core board and get my frames out of the "Fading Lives" show, to use in this April group show.

I think most importantly it gives me a chance to slow down and breath a bit, I feel like I have been burning myself out lately. I would not mind a week of just hanging around the house and making some 4x5 tests/portraits. I do not have to worry about deadlines for a while now. Thank goodness!

I wanted to start a portrait series on my father this week, called "Dad At 80", need to start working on that and also do testing on the zone metering for portraiture I plan to use in Klong Toey in September. I will also have more time to print up some photos I can give to the people I photographed last trip in the slum.

Feel like a bit of burden has been lifted off me, I can now slow down and concentrate on the pictures I will make in September and November in Thailand. If I can I also want to take a third trip to Thailand/Cambodia in February/March of next year. After these 3 trips it will be a long time coming back to make photos, it will be only working in Canada and paying off debts. I need to really do some strong photography while I have a chance, I need to really push the envelope and create dozens of "Peoples Project" portraits. If I can create a large number of portraits it will help me get through the year or so I will be trapped back in Canada working to pay off trips, film etc.

Cannot wait to be making photos, to be back in Thailand, finding and photographing people again, nothing better than that!