Saturday, June 18, 2011

Reflect Or Not To Reflect That Is The Question

I have been experimenting with the front surface of my frames, glass or plastic. I got free plastic 20x24 sheets from my friend Rob when he cut the frames and love the luminosity you get from the plastic. Today I went out and out and bought a piece of non glare glass (designed for picture frames), I got a 20x24 inch piece for $27. I just placed that piece (cut my fingers 2 times) in a frame and placed it along side a plastic front picture. The non glare glass cuts down most of the reflections thou you can still see blurred forms but it also gives the print a much more duller look. I like the plastic sheen/glossy look much better than the dull look but I also like less reflections from the non glare glass.

Not sure what to do, I think I will probably go with the plastic at this point, the glow it gives the prints, especially the b/w stuff is worth some reflections. I might be able to close the window blind in the gallery to cut down on some of the reflections.

Another thing to consider is that the glass will cost me around $300 and I do not have any extra money to throw around. I have to buy 2 air tickets this year and also need to have spending money to travel and make photographs for the "peoples project", $300 for travel, food etc. in Asia is more important than non glare glass. Making new photos is more important than having shows. There is nothing more important than creating new work.

More thought needed.