Wednesday, June 1, 2011

AGA, Warhol and Carr

I really loved the show yesterday at the AGA, will probably go back at least 2 more times before it runs out. I learned of a new artist yesterday, Emily Carr. I had heard the name and even been to her art school in Vancouver but did not know her art or history. Carr was one tough lady with some very inspiring work done amongst the Haida native Indians on Haida island (north of Vancouver island).

Saw Warhol also and loved the fun of his show. They had several of his silkscreens, a large sliver Liz (Elizabeth Taylor), they had several of his films including a guy sleeping for 8.5 hours, they had 3 videos going, one of him talking on the phone, one of him painting (very interesting to watch) and one that was a variety of vids including one with a surprised Warhol learning someone had died. He was interviewing a fellow artist and was told a mutual friend had died, and Warhol could not believe it, he asked like 5 times, "he's dead?" Then he finally says" He's really dead? but he's so rich!" the comment broke me up, I laughed out loud, the artist he was talking to said, "yes even rich people get sick and die!"

In the show they had several of his photographs mostly his Polaroids, including several self portraits in drag, which were loads of fun, Warhol heads shots in drag. I loved the vulnerability of these photographs, my favorite part of the show, Warhol showed wonderful courage in making and showing them. They also had 5 of his wigs! and some wig stories, there is something eary about looking at a guys fake hair, like your peeking in a wardrobe drawer in his bedroom.

I bought a Emily Carr book new on Amazon yesterday for ($27, new with free shipping) the exact same book retails for $75 in the AGA bookstore. I want to learn more about this amazing women, she was also a very successful writer. I bought Carr's journal as well online, reading artist diaries is usually very interesting, you get a feel to their artistic process, why they create what they created.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1553651731/ref=oss_product

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1553651723/ref=oss_product

While waiting at the front desk I got both the phone number and email to the person in charge of submissions for the small Alberta only RBC new works gallery at the AGA. I want to send an email (I do better in email) and find out more on the submission process. It is a bit of a cheat to be put into a Alberta only room but heck, beggars like me can't be choosers. It would be an honor to get work into the AGA anywhere! Think I will try and submit some sex worker portraits done down the years, later on will also try submitting some of the "Peoples Series Portfolio" which I still have to make. The other option is to submit work done in Klong Toey but I need to do more photography there as well. Since the new museum reopened I have seen 4 or 5 shows in this space and nothing has nocked my socks off, so I know my work is good enough to be shown, it is not like I would be competing for space in the main gallery with Burtynsky, Karsh, Matisse, Warhol or Degas. It is a very achievable goal, so will check the submission requirements and make submissions over the next few years. Who knows maybe someday will get into this new works gallery for Albertans and in later years get into the non segregated sections of the museum.