Sunday, May 1, 2011

Time To Leave The Club World?

Been thinking more and more that it might be time for me to leave the world of photo clubs. I have had a few people recently tell me that maybe it was time I left that level and try and move up to the next.

This year I have had several good experiences in the club so am reluctant to leave, but I have to admit that after being exposed to world class photography in the museums I visited in Europe and through new friends and contacts much of what the club produces seems boring, trite and commonplace. I guess thats to be expected, comparing world class photography with club amateurs is not really fair. The positive is its fun to be around photo people, its fun to interact and spend time with them. Our club also brings in outside judges which can bring a fresh perspective or new friendships ( like I have now with a judge from last year, Larry).

I am not sure how to proceed, I do not want to be one of those arrogant SOBs who thinks he is to good for the group but I am not sure how much I get out of the club these days. I also find all the rules and regulations limiting at times, some members seem much to concerned with rules and not as concerned with seeing new work. I am basically the last darkroom worker (one other member brings in a few darkroom prints a year), so lots of the discussion in the club is photoshopese, which I have limited interest in. I also find all the collaging that goes on sort of insulting to the spirit and history of photography (sound a bit arrogant there!). I just feel that photography is about capturing a decisive moment in time and if you don't get it you don't get it, try again! I get tired of the 6 photos in 1 collages or the work that is just a series of cloning exercises to knock out anything that distracts (you need to do that during composition! and when you decide to press the shutter).

I am also the only club member that does what I do, I have been sort of a loner for 15 years, maybe that's long enough. Maybe I need to move on and just do my own thing by myself all the time. I could concentrate solely on making my photos and do more submissions along with trying to get work included in collections starting with the Foundation of the Arts in Alberta and the Art Bank of Canada. I could also devote more time to trying to get a book published and working with people like Quinton Gordon of the Luz Gallery.

I have to think about this some more, maybe I need to take a leave from the club for a year or 2 to see if I miss it. The club might also be better off without me around, sometimes I am a bit to strong in my opinions and a bit to straight/harsh in my photography (nude ladyboy sex worker shots alongside other members infrared landscapes and open books in window light photos). Tomorrow night is the year end competition and I kind of feel like just going to eat and coming home without entering images for judging. I have to print the 2 Foundation for the Arts photos by Wednesday, an extra hour or 2 might come in handy.

I have benefited greatly through the years from my experiences and friendships in the club but maybe its time to move on, all good things eventually come to an end. More thought needed here.