Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Alberta Foundation For The Arts: Round 2

A few months back I made a submission to the Art by Acquisition program through the Alberta Foundation for the Arts (first time I tried this). This program buys art from Alberta artists on a yearly basis. Painters, sculptures, photographers and other artists submit work for consideration. I submitted 5 photographs from the recent Thailand trip. Today I got a phone call telling me that 2 of the works had been accepted for the round 2 part of the submission.

In round 2 of the jury process they need to look at the real prints not just the scans. The problem is I have no prints ready! The deadline is May 3rd at 430pm and I have nothing printed yet, I had just scanned the negs for the first part but now I need 2-16x20 prints by May 3rd for the jury to look over and decide if they want to buy the photographs. I am working 12 hour night shifts until May 1st. I will have to try to sneak in a couple of hours after each of my remaining night shifts then do an all night session on May 2nd. I need to get the prints done as early as possible so the fiber paper can dry properly.

Some how there do not seem to be enough hours in the day to get all the things done I need to do. My group show is June 3rd and printing hard for that also. It is nice to have some limited success with group shows, gallery representation, a possible book and possible acquisitions by the province, but damn this all takes time. I got to cut out other parts of my life and spend more hours in the darkroom over the coming month, got to make some sacrifices in other areas to get this all done.