Monday, April 11, 2011

1/2 Day Out In The Countryside

On Sunday I went out on a nice 1/2 day photo trip with my friend Rob. It was a beautiful day to make photographs, nice and warm with soft sunlight and no wind. I really enjoy these outings, we have nice talks and make photos, a grand old time. Rob is much better at this type of photography than I am but I always enjoy the challenge (landscape photography is tough!) and I get to try out new equipment/techniques I can use in Asia.

I got to use my Linhof 4x5 with viewfinder and Pentax spot-meter out in the field for the first time. I found the viewfinder (which allows you to see the scene through various focal lengths) a great help for finding my compositions. I ended up using the 210mm Nikon lens for the most part and just set the viewfinder at 210mm and walked around looking for photographs. I loved using the Linhof and the Pentax spot-meter as well, this set up should work well in Cambodia/Thailand when I am making portraits for the "Peoples" project. I should be able to make the work flow, get good composed, focused and exposed negs quickly, which will allow me to give most of my attention to my subject, I can concentrate on bringing that special/telling moment out of them.

On Sunday used zone metering for the photos and ended up with some decent negatives. I hope to refine and improve on these negs and my zone technique in the future. I think using a spot-meter and zone system for the Asia portraits is the way to go, then I am ensured of getting proper exposures and printable negs.