Monday, March 14, 2011

Khmer Here I Come

Pulled out my Khmer children's language book (got it in Cambodia years ago) and some dictionaries tonight. I want to make a concerted effort during my night shifts to study and improve (lots of room there!) my Khmer. I know almost nothing now but I have until September (will buy the air ticket in early May) when I return to Cambodia to get things figured out a bit. I have 5 months to work on the language. Learning a language without having a real live speaking teacher beside you is pretty much impossible but heck I plan on giving it my best shot. Maybe with the combination of the Internet/my books and some determination I can learn the basic of basics of Khmer.

When I am alone on the streets of Phnom Penh with my 4x5 and trying to photograph the stranger across from me anything, any language skills at all will help the photography.