Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Got A New Paul Strand Book

A new Paul Strand book (very nice magazine actually) came in today, Aperture 135 "Paul Strand The world on my Doorstep". This Issue of Aperture is a joy to look through, what a great photographer he was. The book included many photographs I had never seen before and also had wonderful reproductions of some of my favorites.

Love Strands work, something to look up at and aspire to! What was the deal on that varnishing thou? He used to hand varnish all his prints! He felt it gave them the final look he loved (a deeper darker, moody tone) but gosh it has to be bad for them from an archival standpoint. I wonder how some his older prints are holding up 80 years onward? I need to travel and see some of his original prints somewhere, sometime.