Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Days Off

Am on my days off trying to organize things and doing some darkroom work as well. In the dark I am trying to finish off all my film development, done the 4x5 b/w film now completing the 35mm b/w followed by the 120 b/w. I am going to pick up C -41 chemistry tomorrow (over $1100 CAD) form a buddy who ordered it for me, with that chemistry I can complete the 220 color head shot film as well.

I also have a large film order in the works for the next trip to Thailand, it looks like that will cost another $2500 or so, damn this is expensive. Spending money on film seems different , feels better, I do not need any more camera/darkroom gear but film is different, film means your shooting and creating new work. The film order will be made up of 500 sheets of 5x7 and 1000 sheets of 4x5 Tri-x, plus 500 feet of bulk 35mm.

Spent yesterday hauling and arranging books. I have many photo books and they were sort of spread around the house mostly on the floor in my basement! I use the books for enjoyment and education and it was very frustrating to not be able to grab a book anytime I needed it. Last week I wanted to study Eugene Atget and I could not find the new book I recently got on him. I decided enough is enough and finished some book shelves in a upstairs library room (former small bedroom). I now have my books on the wall but not very well organized, at least they are in one place! Just counted the shelves, I have 15 - 4 foot long shelves loaded down with photography books and magazines of various types. Wonder how much all of this cost me? Somethings are better not to know!

The books are a great way to study and learn, to look at the work of others as well as technical books on a daily basis is a joy. I am a self taught photographer, all my knowledge comes from books, friends and shooting. There is also one self of art books in general that I try to study but with less success : ) Reading about Henri Matisse currently, love the direct simplicity of his lines thou doubt creating them was that simple.

Read recently (Milton Rogovin) of the importance of poetry so going to try to read some poetry, thou I usually do not do to well there, it tends to confuse me and put me to sleep.

Well going to get some food and then off to the darkroom to develop the test zone sheets and the last of the 35mm from the trip.