Saturday, January 29, 2011

Help From A Stranger

Sometimes you meet good people by accident, people who help you and encourage your work. A while back I got a new (old/used) camera, a 5x7 Linhof. I want to use this camera my next trip (this year) to Thailand to work on my Khon Thai Series with 900 sheets of Tri-x 5x7 I bought off EBay at a discount a few years back ( need to shoot it before it gets to outdated). The film cost me more than the camera so I thought it was a smart investment. The camera came cheap but it did not include any lens boards, so I searched online but got no where. I then went to my favorite photography user group and asked for help. Here is an message I received today from one of the people I met online:

Hey Gerry,

The lens boards are on their way, via a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope to Canada.

In addition to the two boards I described, I found another lens board that I'm sending. It was with a 250mm Heliar (I think), and the previous owner had mounted the flange to the board. I removed the flange and used it as a jam nut, but you may find a use for this board, too. And you may be able to mount a three-hole flange in the original holes, so I included the three screws.

Forget about the postage reimbursement—I'd like to consider it a donation to help with your wonderful work. I remember admiring your work when you posted some images on ---- or maybe --- some time ago, and just recently I went back and reviewed your ---- gallery again. Well done!

Good luck with your trip! E



When your down about your work or you get lazy and wonder if its all worth it you meet a stranger like E who helps you without asking for anything in return. He encouraged me, gave me a pat on the back and helped my photography.

Thanks very much E