Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Saying Goodbye To Weaw

Said good bye to Weaw yesterday it was hard, she seemed so vulnerable and alone. I carried her bags to a room on the 2nd floor of the blind massage school. Weaw walked in front of me led by another blind girl. I told her not to worry that after 3 or 4 months she would have a trade and that she would make friends and learn from the other blind people at the school (17 blind residents).

We talked to Khune Aud the man who ran the place (another incredible person I met this trip). He is blind and has a blind wife, but they have 2 children a 18 year old pretty girl and a fun laughing 17 year old boy (both can see). Khune Aud told his story, the story of the school and it was translated for me (he spoke in a difficult Thai dialect).

"I wanted to help the blind people of Thailand and to show that they could work and be useful. I decided to open up a school where I could teach them massage. At first it was very difficult but I took small steps, little by little very slowly things improved. I first bought a very old house (on same location as the current school), then I slowly began to train the blind to do massages and to change the way people (Thai people) thought of the blind. I got a little bit of gov't support and some donations and after a long time I slowly went forward, eventually I was able to build this building (current school)."

He took small steps a bit at a time a over a 18 year period to get where he is now. It seems he has something in common with Father Joe (of the Klong Toey Slum Mercy Centre), both did things small at first and big things later, both built something great after many years of effort (Khune Aud 18 years, Father Joe 35 years plus).

I gave some money to Waew;s family yesterday 500 baht to Grandma, 500 baht to her Father and 3000 baht to Weaw (plus paid for her food and bus tickets etc). Weaw is a kind sweet person, I hope she can find a good man and start a family, hopefully she can live at least part of her dream.

I gave her a kiss on the forehead when we parted and she waied as I left, I turned around to take a last look and Weaw was sitting and chatting to her new friends (2 young blind girls).