Sunday, December 5, 2010

Milk Money?

I met a young girl sitting in a doorway who looked malnourished 2 days back. I spoke to the lady taking care of her and she said her mom had run away (not sure who the lady was a friend? an aunt?), she said she did not have money for food (repeated that several times) when I gave the little girl 40 baht the woman scooped it up quickly (took her about 3 seconds) and said she would buy milk, not sure that's true.

There was also a man at the house who looked like he might be a heavy drinker or drug user. I hope the money does go for milk but I have my doubts. I can still see the little girl with a sort of a hollow face, she did not talk to me (or anyone else)like other children do, just sat in the doorway and quietly stared at me as I made photographs. What will her future hold?