Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Kings Birthday

Today was the King of Thailand birthday, he turned 81 today and is in poor health but has lived a long productive life helping the Thai people. The day across Thailand is marked as fathers day out of respect for the King.

Thais are rightfully very proud of their King and whenever I mentioned that it was Wan Po day (Kings birthday-fathers day) to a Thai person they smiled with pride and were happy a farang new what day it was.

To start the day I made a photo of the Mercy Centre front gate which has a large photograph of the King out front. A gate was partially blocking the portrait. When I asked if the gate could be opened to make the picture and that it was important because it was Wan Po day. Security quickly repeated what I had said and opened the gate for me, everyone moved out of the way so I could make the photograph.