Monday, December 6, 2010

Khao Pud Moo

About half way through my Klong Toey visit today I walked into an area where men were playing cards and drinking (possibly using drugs). It was an area in the center of some slum shacks and a small one stall restaurant. At first I was a bit worried as two men started coming at me and speaking very fast in Thai, they were both drunk at mid afternoon (about 3pm). After I took a few photos of them (tattoos on their backs) they calmed down a bit we had a nice chat where I explained my history. There were children and one old man of 58 years old (he looked 70)nearby who I also photographed, the old man had haunting eyes, some good photos there I think. I also ordered Khao Pud Moo (fried rice with pork) for 20 baht. The lady who cooked the food was the mother of one of the drunk men (Bun 25 years old). I spent about 1 hour with these people, the old man, the ladies working and sitting in the area, the drunk men and the young children. This place today was a small snippet of life here, a small window into the lives of the people of the Klong Toey slum.

The Khao Pud Moo was delicious!