Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chiang Kong

Am in Chiang Kong now, a small town on the border with the country of Laos. From my guesthouse balcony I can see Laos across the Mekong river.

Tonight had dom yum bla buk (dom yum soup with catfish from the Mekong). This might be the best dom yum I have ever eaten a large bowl with lots of meat cost 120 baht ($4.00 CAD).

I will wake up early tomorrow and grab the 4x5 before heading out and trying to find some people to photograph. Over the last 2 days I have gained confidence with my 4x5. The people I have met love to be photographed and the 4x5 is less difficult to use now, I need to work faster and smoother but it is much better now compared to my misadventure with this camera setup in Klong Toey.

All the people I have asked to photograph with the 4x5 have agreed, they love to be photographed, which makes my job a lot easier! This Khon Thai project is a go!!!

I hope eventually to move up to the 8x10 camera and make some important portraits, if Jock Sturges and Sally Mann can do it, why not Mr Gerry? It might take years of effort but there is a certain beauty in large format photography I want to acheive with this project (Khon Thai).