Thursday, December 2, 2010

Back In Klong Toey

Had a late start again, got to get up earlier! I ended up getting to Klong Toey and visiting the Mercy Centre for the first time today. The Mercy Centre is a facility and outreach program that was started in the 1973 by Father Joseph Maier and Sister Maria Chantavarodom. I was given a short tour by Father Joe's right hand man Mr. John P.

http://www.mercycentre.org

After the visit to the centre I walked around the Klong Toey area. I photographed the railroad tracks where they have furniture making shacks. The workers work on a train track and then sell the products they make (tables, chairs, dog houses etc.). Much of the wood used is from old wood pallets that are re cut and then reused. The quality was surprisingly good, the tables and chairs well made and after they are finished and painted up, quite attractive. The main work area is on the train tracks so upwards of 10 times of day everyone has to remove all their equipment and whatever they are working on before the train crushes it.

Meeting the people on the streets, in their homes and along the railway tracks was a positive experience, a good learning experience. Often the poorest people have the kindest most friendliest hearts. Today when I was walking the soi's (road) of Klong Toey I kept thinking how the camera around my neck was probably worth more than many people around me earned in 2 or 3 years.

The longer I stay in Thailand the easier it gets for me and the better the photographs are. Unfortunately I only have about 17 more days in Thailand so I have to try to make the most of the time I have. I am unsure if I will return tomorrow and shoot more 35mm or take out the 4x5 for the first time, either way it should be FUN!!!