Monday, November 29, 2010

Desperate People

Many of the girls and ladyboys working the bars are desperate for customers. I have heard a dozen times how they have not had a customer all week. I have photographed several older workers this trip (the youngest lady I photographed this trip is 25 the oldes 60+), the older workers seem especially desperate. I went out for food at a restaurant not far from my hotel today that had bargirls as waitresses. The women in the bar were over 40 but still tried to dress young and sexy. I wondered how many hours these older ladies had to sit in the bar waiting for a customer, waiting for someone to notice them. Most bars have quotas and if a girl gets to old and does not have enough customers a month she will lose her job and have to find another way to make money (many become freelance worker).