Saturday, September 18, 2010

Edward Burtynsky Lecture

Went to the Edward Burtynsky lecture this afternoon at the AGA. The part that stood out most for me during the talk was how he knew exactly what he wanted to say with his photographs, he understood absolutely and completely the messages he wanted to convey. The photographs can be viewed on multiple layers, they can be interpreted on many different levels. The photographer thou had a clear understanding of what he was doing and saying and brought his craft and skills foward to communicate that message.

I need to concentrate on what I want to say with my photographs, to get a clear understanding of exactly where I am going with the work and then translate that understanding to film. I think one of the reasons I have trouble writing artist statements is because I am not 100% sure yet in my mind what my message is, Burtynsky has all of that figured out and then he goes out and fufills his vision.

Also went to take a quick peek at the show before the lecture and it was impressive, large and very large color prints that were highly detailed if a bit non photograph looking at times (not sure that matters). I will go see the show this coming week when I have more time, will probably do 5 or 6 visits before it leaves town.

Its great that the AGA is showing photographers, I hope this trend continues!! Hopefully someday Mr. Yaum will get his shot at the space.