Monday, February 15, 2010

VAAA 2010 Photography Submission

Spent the day developing color 120mm film. I am trying to get 5 head shot ring-flash images for a submission to the VAAA (Anual Photography Competition). I think I will go with 2 female workers, Long and Bla along with 1 or 2 male and 1 or 2 ladyboy workers. I can only submit 5 photographs, so I will look for the 5 visually strongest faces.

Not sure this will lead to anything, 2 years ago I got in with some old b/w images from 1999. Last year I got rejected when I tried to enter some 2007 white background sex worker photographs. The accepted photographs for the 2009 VAAA Photography Show did not include portraits and the images that did include people did so in a very abstract visual sort of way (like they were there only for form).

I doubt the heads will make it in but heck you got to go with what you feel is your important work. I do not want to sell out and put in photographs I feel are second rate just because I want to be accepted. You got to go with your heart and put work out there that you think is important and needs to be seen.