Wednesday, February 3, 2010

AGA: The Alberta Gallery of Art


Visited the wonderful new Alberta Art Gallery last week. It is a 4 story glass/metal and concrete jewel of a building. I loved the natural light that floods the place along with the wide open spaces/high ceilings and friendly staff.

There is currently a show of Degas Sculptures, Goya prints and a wonderful interactive exhibition of Yosuf Karshs working methods and photographs. I plan on taking several of the courses and lectures the AGA will be having int he coming months on both Karsh and Degas. It was a wonderful day visiting this new facility. The staff at the gallery had a real love for art, you could feel their enthusiasm, there love of what they did and their love of the work being shown. I talked to one member of the staff about the Degas sculpture "Little Dancer" and you could see the joy in his eyes as he described the work, a real love for art, how can I not like a facility that has this going for it? It is like being in a sort of creativity heaven.

One of my dreams is to one day have my work shown in this gallery and to have the work added to their permanent collection. I so want the photographs to be seen by a larger audience, to communicate the message of the work to others. I want the people I photograph to be seen, they are important, their stories are important and they deserve to be remembered.