Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I'd Rather Be Anonymous

Been thinking about Oct. 13, 2011 a lot over the last few days. On that date the group show will open at the VAAA. I have always wanted the work seen but have always been uncomfortable in being seen myself. One of the reasons I chose to use a pseudonym Gerry Yaum was because I just want to make the photos and not really be recognized for the work, the work is not about me it is about the people in the photographs, they are the story, they should be getting the acknowledgment not me. I have never had much of a problem with negative reactions, when people are negative I just get a bur under my saddle that eggs me forward but having someone praise the work has always made me feel uncomfortable.

I wish I could attend the show anonymously and just be a fly on the wall, I want to watch how people respond to the photographs I want to hear their comments but I do not want them to know who I am. I remember reading a story about Diane Arbus where she kind of hung around eves dropping on conversations at her New Documents show at MoMA. Diane wanted to hear what they said and know how they felt about what she had put up on the walls but she did not want the viewers to know who she was.

Maybe I can come a bit late and sort of sneak in and try to be one of the crowd, doubt that will work but it might be worth a try.