Sunday, June 7, 2009

Walking the Scene, Tired

Last night I had a hard time getting motivated, felt tired carrying my loaded down camera bag walking the streets. The heat, the weight of the bag and just a general lack of energy was difficult to overcome. The only time I felt good during the night was when I was making the Mat photos in studio. Making the photographs made me happy and gave me a boost of energy as it usually does.

Doing much of the work myself without assistants is exhausting. My timeline to get the photos done in makes me push myself. I wish I could spend 6 months doing this (not 5 weeks) so I could just rest more and take things slowly.

I feel I need to make photographs outside of this world. I will probably make photos of people in the scene for the rest of my life but I would also like to open up, to shoot subjects from all areas of Thai society. I have been thinking of this a lot this trip. I am not sure if the 8x10 is that practical a camera here when shooting in the heat of the day in places like Bangkok, carry a tripod and extra heavy holders etc does not seem to me the way to go it will also affect my mobility and speed of shooting. I am thinking now of using 2 Polaroid conversion camera made by Dean Jones, my 135mm Banarama as well as a second camera (that I need to purchase) which would have a wider angle lens (possibly a 90mm) with this setup I could walk the streets, villages and rural areas making portraits on the fly.