Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Speaking Thai Again

The first week back speaking Thai I felt like I had marbles in my mouth. Yesterday was the first day that I felt comfortable speaking the language again. When your speaking a foreign language to native speakers you have to go all out with confidence which I am starting to do again. Your bound to make mistakes but that is the way you learn. I was able to speak to ordinary Thais, go to the market to shop etc.

I had some very nice conversations last night, including a man with a wheeled street cart who was selling fried pork and sticky rice. He was surprised I could read his sign written in Thai and we talked about spoken and written languages.

I also talked to one of my friends here who I have photographed 4 or 5 times now. She works in a bar that has shows for customers and spoke to me of that along with how much money she made and how much the bar made (gave me a greater understanding of the scene behind the scene). When you can speak the language of the country your in it allows you to gain insights you would not normally be able to. I need to become fluent in this language, I either have to spend more time here or find more people to speak to in Canada.