Saturday, June 6, 2009

Nit 50


I photographed Nit again a few days back. I have photographed her 4 times now in 1999,2003, 2008 and this year. I learned more about her life, she has a son who is 1/2 Thai and 1/2 German. The sons father died 10 years ago in Berlin. I will try to photograph her again with the 8x10 camera and white background over the next few weeks. Nit has been in the scene for several decades, I asked how many men she had been with in the room I photographed her at and she said hundreds and was not joking.

I am trying to do something Jock Sturges recommended, he told me to get to know the people I photograph better and to photograph the same subjects multiple times. If you know the people you photograph you can hopefully communicate that understanding in your portraiture.