Sunday, June 21, 2009

Drunks and Sex

This town wheres you down. Day after day what you see on the streets and in the bars is drunk men chasing the women and men working the bars. I tire of being in this environment, how can men stay here for decades? If you have any understanding of Thailand and Thai culture you can see the falsehoods in this city. Thai woman do not act the way the women of the bars do, it is an illusion created for the sex tourists who visit. It is a Disneyland of sex here, artificial and empty.

Do the men here not see the hollow look in the women's eyes? Do they not see the anger and disgust they often feel for the men they are with? When I look at the couples on the street maybe 2 in 10 seem genuinely happy. Are the rest of the men here blind to the reality of their relationships? to drunk to notice? or do they not care? do they want to just buy sex and move on to another woman every few days? maybe so.

I look forward to my next trip here when I will start my "Khon Thai Series". I want to record/document the reality of Thailand, I want to photograph the real Thai people.