Sunday, March 15, 2009

8x10 With Flash

Over the last few hours I have been working in the darkroom on an important print. My mind keeps going back to the "Khon Thai" project, how to do it? What am I trying to say? What technique will work?

Bill Burkes photos of Cambodian Soldiers keep coming to mind, I have loved these photographs for years and maybe that is what I am about. Almost all my work has been captured with flash in one way or another, maybe that is the way I see best. I have always loved the mixing of flash and daylight with black and white film. Shooting with flash and an 8x10 would also also me to shoot at night which opens up more photo opportunities (thou carrying around 8x10 equipment at night is a bit daunting!). I might have to try using the banarama (4x5 rangefinder) with flash instead or in certain situations where the 8x10 (tripod, flash unit) is impossible.

I have to give this more thought but I think this might be the way to go, will have to try to do some tests soon. I would like to at least try to make some beginning photos using whatever techniques I decide this coming trip,















Cambodian Soldier, Bill Burke