Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gerry Yaum Goes Spanish!

http://adncultura.lanacion.com.ar/weblogs/merle/index.asp

Funny how your work spreads online when you make up a webpage, last year it was Russian blogers, this year it is Spanish. Hope they are saying nice things!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Translation of the text courtesy of Google Translator:

But what haunts me for weeks is that dichosde Sebastiao Salgado lei Gerry Yaum's blog, a photographer from Canada. He said the most famous Brazilian world of photography: "If the photograph of a man is not dignified, there is no reason to have taken. That is my way of thinking." What would Diane Arbus in this idea of dignity? I see pictures of Yaum and I ask you. I remember the advice of a great designer: "Never take photos of destitute in a foreign country" Hummmm ..... I truly believe that I am not interested in pictures of people homeless, although I did at the time, and I understand Salgado, but the reality must be shown that what is! Or not?

The same Yaum wondered if the legendary photo of W. E. Smith (see above) in their sick quest for human dignity in black and white, there will not be abused by the circumstances of this mother and daughter in an intimate moment?.

Pufff! that discussion vain! Especially if I am who fight .... I return to my humble photos January 1. Compared with those of Jeff Wall in Matador ... and I go crazy for a while, as Martin RomaƱa