Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Straight Forward Honesty in Portraiture



Been looking at this photograph Richard Avedon shot of his father tonight. The straight forward honesty of the image gives it great power. Years ago I realized that the un true (pretty/flattering) pictures made by commercial portrait photographers was not the way I wanted to go with my work. A closer truth to what a person is can be seen when the attempts to prettify things are removed, truly good/great portraits come out of the artists honest interpretation of his subject along with the subject opening up and allowing their inner true self to be captured.

I must strive to show the humanity of my subjects, their individuality/intensity must be captured, the light that makes them who they are must be reflected in the picture. I owe it to the people that trust me to photograph them to be honest, it is important that they are remembered as the unique people they were.